Wednesday, May 25, 2011

First Asparagus Harvest: Shaved!

Our asparagus is finally starting to produce!  Love asparagus season.  Farmer Man and I had taken a walk last Friday and found one spear, which we promptly shared right there and then.  Took a walk yesterday and found about a pound: a nice, big handful!  I've been reading all over the Internet about shaving asparagus, for a different take on this fabulous Spring vegetable.  Asparagus is being shaved into thin strips for salads, roasted vegetables and pizza.  We had a pizza crust in the freezer, so off we went!  I referred to one of my favorite foodie blogs Smitten Kitchen for the basics.  Like so many things there are a million different ways of doing this!  We had a lovely jar of homemade pizza sauce from our neighbors Mike and Naomi, so that went down first.  Then a light layer of mozzarella cheese.  I had shaved the asparagus spears with our usual veggie peeler, than tossed them in olive oil, cracked black pepper, sea salt and a little bit of chili pepper.  I know, we were doing so well on this being a local dish but the cheese wasn't local, either.  Anyway, arranged the shaved asparagus, an asparagus head per piece and into the oven for fifteen minutes.  Even shaved, the asparagus flavor was excellent! A great, fast meal!  I can hardly wait for next year, when we should have a little homemade goat cheese to use!  And Smitten Kitchen has a waaaaaaay better picture than mine - check it out!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy. I love asparagus season and it coincides with fiddlehead season too, another favorite. I think I need to go to the market...

    ReplyDelete